Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Our Story

In 2005 I decided to join the St. Andrew’s Guild, a historical re-enactment group that my brother and his family had belonged to for many years. I thought that this would be something fun to do as a family, and allow me to reconnect with my brother. We hadn’t been very close as kids, but seemed to be getting closer as we both got into our 30’s and I had my own children. With a 6 and 7 year old I knew that my kids needed some positive male role models, and I had hoped to find some in the guild. Little did I know just what I would find…

For most of the summer of 2005 I was flying back and forth from the west coast to the east coast for my job. At the time I was working as a consultant implementing TeamTrack Software. I managed to schedule my trips such that we were able to attend most of the faires that year. And at the end of the summer, I met Tim at the Pleasanton Faire in September. We chatted a couple of times at the faire, and looking back now we both had some interest…

Unfortunately, because of my traveling for work I was unable to attend the next two faires, so the next time I saw Tim was at Winter’s Feast in November. I sat with him and we talked for awhile, there was definitely an interest. Unfortunately, neither of us pursued at that moment…

Then, in December, I got a call from Sir Drew, the guild manager, and told me that Tim was trying to get ahold of me – so I called Tim back and we started talking, both by phone and through the computer (email and Instant Messaging).

My Broken Arm

Then, on the night of January 5th I fell off of a step-ladder and broke my right arm in two places. This sent me to the emergency room and on to the surgery room. I was not a happy camper! During the next two weeks I was on some heavy drugs, and Tim says that we talked a couple of times, but I honestly don’t remember too much about that two weeks! Tim wanted to come down and visit me, but since I wasn’t able to shower at all because of my cast, and being somewhat vain, I didn’t want him to see (or smell!!) me when I was all yucky and drugged out and in pain. So, we weren’t able to go out until the end of January – Saturday the 28th to be exact.


Our First Date

On our first date, Tim drove ALL THE WAY down to San Jose from Willits (a three hour drive!). We went out to dinner at Red Lobster (still one of our favorite places to eat). We had a wonderful time – we talked the whole time we were there. I still had my right arm in a cast, and the waiter was so cute, he offered to cut my food for me. By this point I had become fairly handy working with my left hand, so didn’t need the help, but it was nice of him to offer.

After dinner we tried to decide what to do, and we decided to just head back to my house (my nephews, Jean Luc and Andre, were spending the night and watching my kids). We ended up, the 4 of us, sitting on the couches watching a movie – one of the Lord of The Rings trilogy. Tim left I think about 10 or a little after, and drove all the way back home, 3 hours. That was an awfully long drive for a first date, but he said (and still does) that it was worth it.

We both had such a great time on our first date, and we could talk about everything – we both ran up some pretty spectacular cell phone minutes during those first months. So we decided to have a second date – again, Tim drove all the way down and we met up in Fremont – Jean Luc and Andre were using the gift certificates that I gave them for Le Mans Karting.

So things had started well, and were continuing well, and by March, Tim was driving down almost every weekend. Those weekends that he didn’t drive down, we were either going to faire or we drove up to Willits.

The Handfasting

The first year, everything went so well! My parents were a little wary, after all Tim has rather long hair and my parents are very old fashioned. But between Tim and I, and the kids, we all got along great! A true family.

In June of 2006, we were at the Campbell Faire and the McCutchen’s had a handfasting ceremony. Both of us got an idea… we already knew that things between us were perfect, we were already thinking about getting married, so we hatched a plan; at the Pittsburg faire in August we wanted to get handfasted. There is some debate about the historical accuracy of handfastings, but we felt that it was a way for us to make a commitment to one another, to pledge ourselves, in front of our friends, to one another. So we talked to Dame Bronwynne, and to Her Majesty, and planned a handfasting for Pittsburg – we told no one else about it! Wow, were they all in for a surprise!

Her Majesty said that it was a couple of her friends that wanted to be handfasted, so nobody knew that it was us, although some said afterwards that they were suspicious. So when Sir Drew asked who comes forth to be handfasted, Tim waited for a dramatic pause, then said “I do!” A gasp rose from the crowd, and some folks went running to get others in the guild who were not in court at the time. It was wonderful! We just loved surprising everyone – although we received a few very good-natured threats afterwards for not letting anyone know about it ahead of time. And then Tim got down on one knee and presented me with my ring! It was so wonderful; everyone was so excited for us, and everyone was looking forward to us making it official.

So then came the discussion about where to get married… Tim asked if I wanted a church wedding or a faire wedding. Since I had already done the big church wedding, and didn’t relish all of the expense of a formal wedding, and since we both love going to Renaissance faires, I said that we should do a wedding at faire. We checked with the guild and faire board about having the wedding at Pittsburg, and everyone said it would be no problem. We thought it would be the perfect way to have all of our friends there to celebrate with us.


The “Faire”ytale Wedding

So, we now had the date, August 11, 2007, and the location, the Pittsburg Renaissance Faire, so then came all of the other details, wedding attire, flowers, and so forth. Everyone came to together to help us, family, friends, and many of the guild members. I was able to get help to sew a wonderful wedding dress; Tim did the full Prince Albert, kilt, vest & jacket, everything. It was a beautiful day, and we had a wonderful time.

We first did an un-handfasting by Lord Mossman, followed by the wedding, Tim’s family pastor was able to perform the wedding ceremony for us, and everyone thought it was all so romantic.

Now here it is January of 2008. We’ve been dating for almost two years, married for almost 5 months, and still the honeymoon is never over!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi
I'm Erick Westphal and have known Noel for a few years - 1984ish. So to discover that she is loved by a man of substance and character is awesome and very cool. I was fortunate to go to the wedding - it was something dreams are made of. I am also engaged and we will be doing semi cultural wedding ceremony (American Indian) ourselves - the idea was enriched by Noel's wedding (thanks!).

I believe that life will push you towards your dreams - if you so desire it and trust the process (one that is especially made for you).

I am very happy that Noel and Tim are together and loving. They are leaving a legacy for their children and friends by living their dreams. God Bless.